Tuesday, June 24, 2008

1 Nephi 1

So Nephi starts out by introducing himself and providing a brief summary of his childhood. I wish I knew enough about Biblical history to be able to picture what Nephi means when he says, "I was taught ... in all the learning of my father." Obviously that means he knows how to read and write--hence the records--but did he go to a legit school? Or was he home-schooled with his brothers (and, if they were progressive enough, his sisters)?

It's entertaining for me to picture Laman and Lemuel slacking off studies and making snide comments behind the teacher's back, while Nephi sits in the front row with an apple (or the Jerusalem equivalent ... a fig maybe?) on the teacher's desk, spot in the front row, his glowing visage always facing front despite the olive seeds his older brothers keep spitting at him. And venerable Sam, who bears a striking resemblance in my mind to Samwise Gamgee of LOTR fame, repeatedly glancing back at his older brothers with a mix of curiosity, fear and awe, but staying by Nephi's side, trying to keep up. Whoever was in charge of lessons probably always made Nephi the monitor too. Stick monitor, parchment monitor, sheep milk monitor. One wonders if he was the only kid to earn enough sheep's milk to make a difference in his physical development. Hence the large in stature thing.

Sometimes I identify with Laman and Lemuel more than the other characters in this book, which I know is terrible. But really, how often am I cynical when someone in my family gets some cockamamie idea that sounds all too founded on whimsy? Do I mock others for being goody-goody? Would I be entirely unwilling to approach a rich guy who wants to kill me to ask the same favor for a third time? Yes, yes, and a resounding no.

Still, there's no denying that Nephi was a good guy. Lehi, too. I always picture Nephi as having the family corner on sincerity (and hence geekiness ... the tapered jeans, polo shirt kind) but Lehi having the lion's share of the guts. He's one of those guys who not only prays on behalf of his people, but goes out and warns them about the consequences of their actions. Which is something I hesitate to do even with people I know well.

I wonder about the relationship between tact and truth sometimes. Where is the line between being polite and letting evil take hold in this world and meddling? Or being judgmental? One of my best friends is pregnant out of wedlock and is marrying the father in a few days. Not a week ago, she never wanted to see or speak to him (the father) ever again, because their relationship was never a healthy one, and she was frankly relieved when it ended. But for a number of reasons, which have been explained to me, but which I still don't entirely understand, she has made the choice to marry the guy and raise the child with him.

That is not the decision I would make. The Church provides for multiple options when it comes to unwed mothers, but I would say the general consensus is adoption over a shotgun wedding. In short, I'm saddened by her decision. But heck, I'm not her. She says she feels good about it. Who am I to discern the source of her warm fuzzy feelings? They could be from God for all I know. And I'm certainly not going to tell her how I feel about her decision once she's made it. But do I have an obligation to? Or would if under any weird theoretical circumstances?

Back to the Book of Mormon. How did Lehi do it? He has a fantastic vision of God, Jesus Christ and the Twelve Apostles. He feels the spirit with such force that he is physically overcome. Of course anyone righteous enough to have an experience like that would be dying to share it. But what role does pragmatism play? Does it in the least?

Perhaps that is what made me a sub-par missionary. I was never told this by anyone, but I always felt that I was too shy to be one of the powerhouses among the Hungarian elders and sisters. I was never the type to walk up to someone on the street and invite them to be baptized. I always felt that much of what we do as missionaries is pretty rude. Granted, if the Spirit touches someone's heart and they let the two frumpy girls standing at the gate into their house, results are often quite good. And I never avoided the truth when questions were asked.

Lady in lesson: So you mean my christening doesn't count as a real baptism?
Me: I'm sorry. No.

If something is true, it's true. You can't lie about it when you're asked. But I never would have in a million years walked up to a woman with three kids and no wedding ring and said, "I have seen your abominations, and they shall bring upon you the judgment of God." I would never physically take away a stranger's cigarette either, although I heard legends of other missionaries who did.

So when it says that Lehi, "went forth among the people" to "prophesy and ... declare unto them concerning the things which he had both seen and heard" did he stand on a street corner with a football helmet and a big sign that read some verse from Isaiah? Did he street contact?

"Hi, my name is Lehi and I'm a representative of the Church of the Lamb. I'm here to tell you that if you don't repent of your iniquities immediately, Jerusalem will be destroyed. Is there a more convenient time when we could meet at your home and discuss these things? Can I at least give you this parchment?"

There is also the distinct possibility that he went among the people as Christ did, serving them and teaching them basic principles using examples from their lives, helping them understand and apply the commandments. Part of me says "probably not" because that method really works, and the people rejected Lehi. But on the other hand, they rejected Christ too.

Nephi says that in the next few chapters, he will show us how the tender mercies of the Lord play a role in the lives of His chosen people. Which is odd because, thinking ahead, the next few events in their lives don't seem that tender to me. More like tough. And trials. I wish I could make trial into an adjective somehow, but I just can't. Anyhow, stay tuned.

1 comment:

diversityoflife said...

I really like your question about tender mercies. I've kind of taken that verse out of context ever since Elder Bednar made it a buzzword in his conference talk. I think what makes 1st Nephi a masterpiece is how contradictory it seems on a first reading. Nephi is a sanctimonious jerk. The only tender mercy is tender raw meat. They leave their home on a miserably long journey through barren wilderness, then have to return twice to get things they might have been warned to grab before leaving. The final stage of the journey finds them setting sail in a ship of "curious workmanship" built according to the voices in Nephi's head, guided by a compass that sasses them when they're upset and refuses to point anywhere at if they manage to get a party started.

(btw, "It was not after the manner of men," kind of reminds me of Star Wars:
Laman and Lemuel: What a piece of junk!
Nephi: She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kids. I've added some special modifications myself.)

1st Nephi is a masterpiece because it gets you to empathize with Laman and Lemuel. You need to empathize with them to understand that faith requires us to do dumb stuff. It requires us to give up a tenth of our income; it requires us to give up 3 hours of prime Sunday relaxation to listen to people tell us what happened when they looked up "repentance" in an inferior dictionary; it requires us to give up years of our lives bothering uninterested people with a message from Jesus; it requires us to endure the mockery of the sane people around us; it requires us to waste our precious free time performing rites for people who are dead and forgotten; it requires us to get up at 5:00 am in high school and be indoctrinated by a primary teacher whose chipper, idealized account of the meaning of life is so simplistic it practically drools; it requires us to revere old white men who are out of touch with society as messengers from God and authorities on morality.

That you can read 1st Nephi and sympathize with Laman and Lemuel prepares you for moments when you realize just how dumb your own faith really is. In those moments you can turn to 1st Nephi and remember that faith has always been dumb to the outsider, and that as long as you linger on the outside of faith, you'll hate Nephi and long for sweet home Jerusalem.

But if you can step inside faith, if you can clear in your heart a little space for the word to grow, then you will begin to see the journey with Nephi's eyes. You will see that Jerusalem has nothing of real worth to offer; that the hardships of the journey are learning experiences; that the voices and dreams are more than the ravings of a madman; that the raw meat, though revolting to the carnal man, is sweet and nourishing; that there is no reason not to cast off from the shores of worldly certainty and put yourself at the mercy of your creator because your creator has prepared for you a promised land.

I love that to show us the tender mercies of the Lord available to those who have faith. And he does, but he's too immersed in his own faith to see how he comes off to an outsider. And that's what makes it great. We can see the tender mercies he claims to be getting, but can we really feel that they are tender mercies? If we're not feeling tender mercies in our own lives, is it because we haven't yet learned to see with the eyes of Nephi?